home | who we are | what we offer | useful advice | resources | news | other charities | contact us  
0345 040 7703
unity scout insurance services
unity scout insurance   Hiring Out Scout Huts  
Useful advice on hiring out your
Scout Headquarters.
  Cover provided by TSA divider Additional cover you may need divider  
  To speak to
us call:
0345 040 7703
  coverProperly covered
  hireHiring out
  securityHoliday security
  winterWinter protection
  floodsFlood advice
  risks Risks & safety

Hiring Out your Scout Buildings

Many Groups will be tempted to hire out their headquarters, as a source of fund-raising. In principle and practice, this may be a good idea as it can generate significant financial returns as well as improving security. An occupied building is less prone to vandalism.

You will need to check with the property damage insurer that such use is not excluded under your policy (if you insure through Unity's Scout Property and Equipment, your cover will not be affected).

Your potential liability as property owners is covered under the existing Association’s Liability Policy. However, you should make potential users aware that they too have responsibilities.

Any equipment brought onto your premises by, say, a playgroup, would remain their property and responsibility. If such equipment were faulty and subsequently caused injury to a Scout, the Scout’s parent could sue the playgroup.

For regular users of your premises, particularly other organisations, it is advisable to have a formal written agreement. This need not be complicated and the Legal Department at Gilwell Park Headquarters, can provide model forms.

Remember your property damage policy will almost certainly carry an excess. Anyone who obtains permission to use your Group’s ‘home’ should be prepared to (and be capable of) paying for minor damage caused by their use.


  terms of business vspacer privacy policy vspacer legal disclaimer vspacer make a complaint vspacer feedback vspacer sitemap vspacer links   © 2014 Unity Insurance Services